[Denemo-devel] Summary: Jackmidi in Windows/MacOS talk in IRC

From: Nils Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Summary: Jackmidi in Windows/MacOS talk in IRC
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 23:06:01 +0100

Today was quite a talk about jack and jackmidi on different systems.
Richard and I were there, and the Jackdeveloper for Windows and Mac, Stephane,
too.

http://www.jackosx.com/contact.html

Here are a few facts:
1) For Windows and Mac JACK2 (aka jackdmp) is needed, not the original jack.
http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html

2) Jackmidi in Windows/Mac is already possible as in routing from one app to
another. Since there are no jackmidi-apps in Windows this can not be tested.
Denemo is maybe the first real software which could be using it.
But with Netjack (a part of Jack2) its maybe possible to send midi-data to
linux.

3) a)However there is currently no way to connect real hardware, the midi
keyboard, with jackmidi. In Linux this is not possible, too, but there is an
ALSA bridge which can be started with the -x command in jack, which is on by
default in qjackctl.

b) This bridge is the important point. Someone needs to write a
winmme<-->jackmidi bridge for Windows and an Coremidi<-->jackmidi bridge for
MacOs. Otherwise there is no way to get midi in but to use a different
midi-system for any OS. I think Richard does not like that idea, nor do I.

4) JACK is an abstraction layer so any midi/audio function written in Denemo is
cross-platform-compatible and there is no need to worry: what works in linux
with jackmidi will work on any system where jack runs.

5) This could be a way to get more developers in the midi section. Whoever
codes Denemo to play Midi in Windows will automatically work for Linux, too.

6) The famous Linuxsampler, which is really interested in Denemo, has a
"workaround" and uses point 3b) They use the midisystems directly. I am in
contact with them and they are maybe interested in some (future future future)
collaboration producing a complete Notation/Sample enviroment with both Denemo
and LS to have a fully grown system for composers and arrangers to produce
great notation AND great sounds.

So the conclusion, as Richard said in IRC,
is to work on jackmidi in Linux and hope that somehow the Windowsbridge will
show up.

Nils, secretary :)