Re: [Denemo-devel] Staff/Instrument Names (Print Out)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Staff/Instrument Names (Print Out)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:34:00 +0000

On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 13:48 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> > > And if the user decides not to have a print-out name maybe its possible
> > > that the staff does not begin with a blank space?
> > ? are you referring to the 10 pixels or so (called LEFT_MARGIN) that are
> > blank?
> > Or the space left by LilyPond (as a default setting)?
>

> I am refering to the big space in front of the first staff.
There is a space in the Denemo display (which I have exploited for
editing staff/voice directives by mouse)
 & also there is a space (by a LilyPond default) in the LilyPond output
before the first system on the first page.

The LilyPond one is intentional: they default to the aesthetics of late
19th century engravers. They start with such a space (similar to the
indent to a paragraph) even when they are not writing anything there.
We could start to design our own defaults, but more urgent would be to
give the user control: there is a setting
\something-or-other
that gets rid of that indent. We need a command to put it into the
appropriate place (the Score directives I should imagine). You just need
to copy one already there (if it is score directives the only example so
far is the 8va up directive) changing the LilyPond and the name, tooltip
etc.
Richard