Re: [Denemo-devel] ReadingNoteNames Varaitions

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] ReadingNoteNames Varaitions
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:42:44 +0100

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 10:25 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I began creating variations on ReadingNoteNames. So far I have:
>
> LineOrSpace:
> User enters an "l"

It's nice to see some scripts. A few ideas:
>LineOrSpace:
The instruction was difficult to read (I read | for l) perhaps make the
instruction
Insert letter L for line and S for space
(accept upper or lower case then ...)
or what about space bar for space.

> if the note is on a line or "s" if it is on a space.
>
> UpDownOrSame:

> User enters a "u" if the interval goes up, a "d" if the interval goes down,
> and an "s" if the interval stays the same.
what about arrows, accepting forward or backward arrow for the same.

> CountSteps:
> User enters a number for each interval couting the number of diatonic steps
> that are used to make up the interval.
>
> DiatonicInterval:
> User enters the diatonic interval number. So c up to e would be 3 for third.
> c down to b would be 2 for snd. c staying on c would be 1 for unison.
>
> I also wrote anouther. It is called StepSkipOrSame. I have not commited it
> because I am not sure what the user input should be.

> The user should enter a letter/number depending if the interval steps up the
> scale, skips up the scale, or stays the same. I thought of then letters
> t=step, k=skip, and a=same. But this is all contingent on the fact that they
> no how to spell.
hmm arrows and control-arrows? You are thinking of little children here -
they get the hang of things quickly but they wouldn't use written instructions
- the adults would read those and
show the kids, I guess.

I think the feedback could be much improved now, with the ability to
insert any graphic into the music - so a correct answer could cause the
insert of a nice big Tick sign (d-DirectivePut-standalone-graphic
"BigTick" "BigTick") with some gx, gy and minpixels to position it and
give it some space.

And for older kids we could sound intervals and ask them to identify by
inserting the note...

Richard