Re: [Denemo-devel] ReadingNoteNames Varaitions

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] ReadingNoteNames Varaitions
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:11:23 -0500

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 05:42:44PM +0100, Richard Shann wrote:

 > The user should enter a letter/number depending if the interval steps up the
 > scale, skips up the scale, or stays the same. I thought of then letters
 > t=step, k=skip, and a=same. But this is all contingent on the fact that they
 > no how to spell.
> hmm arrows and control-arrows? You are thinking of little children here -

I tried that but I did not know how to read them. I had denemo display the char
it produces. The resut was I believe "R" and "T" or perhaps it was "S". I may
have done it incorrectly but it did not match those letters. I am assuming that
this input is not a number? or string?. What kind of type is it?

> they get the hang of things quickly but they wouldn't use written
> instructions - the adults would read those and
> show the kids, I guess.

Yes. This is what I was thinking. I child who could not read would have trouble
launching the game from the menu anyway. Perhaps if someone wanted they could
launch a denemo file with the script in it and it would start with that game on
launching.

> I think the feedback could be much improved now, with the ability to
> insert any graphic into the music - so a correct answer could cause the
> insert of a nice big Tick sign (d-DirectivePut-standalone-graphic
> "BigTick" "BigTick") with some gx, gy and minpixels to position it and
> give it some space.

I will look into that.

> And for older kids we could sound intervals and ask them to identify by
> inserting the note...

Thats a great idea also. Or perhaps notate the sounded example. I would have to
have a play again keybinding.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have sometime on my hands right now. The wife
unit has left for a week and has taken the kids to the grandmothers house.