Re: Release 0.8.6 was Re: [Denemo-devel] ReadingNoteNames Varaitions

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: Release 0.8.6 was Re: [Denemo-devel] ReadingNoteNames Varaitions
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:16:46 -0500

On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 10:58 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 01:33 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> > > Well, could we get out a release? We have tons of new stuff now, and
> > > people can update from within Denemo...
> > >

> > Ok. Here is the tarball
> >
> > http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases-noredirect/denemo/denemo-0.8.6.tar.gz
> >
> > I also created a new git branch.
> Ok :-), but we will need a few days of code freeze for testing...

Ooops. Oh well. I will just copy over the above tar file once we release
then.

> I have
> already generated fixes for the bugs that Nils has flagged in the new
> lyrics code. These will be on branch Master, I've looked back at the
> email you sent about working on branches but I am not clear whether I
> should start by creating 0.8.6 in my own repository with
> git branch 0.8.6
> or whether I should create it via
> git pull 0.8.6

I am not sure if that works. You want to run a command like this:

git checkout -b stable-0.8.6 origin/stable-0.8.6

The part that goes "-b stable-0.8.6" creates a local branch off of the
remote branch. The local branch will be called whatever you pass the the
-b.

This is documented here:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git-core/docs/git-remote.html

> (followed by git checkout 0.8.6?)
>
> I don't want to just try a few things out, because I am afraid of
> getting things into an obscure tangle (I remember once having to delete
> some lock file early on in the gitting).
>
> If I have to create it locally first, what incantation brings it up to
> date with the branch on git? git pull, merge, checkout ...?

See above. If I make to make a fix in that branch (after its been
mirrored locally) I would do
checkout stable-0.8.6
*this will change depending on what you called your local branch
git pull
*this is to pull changes anyone else has pushed
vim/emacs filename.c
git commit
git push

-----------------merging

If I am in the stable-0.8.6 branch and I know all changes in master
should go into the release I do:

git merge master

Then I can continue editing if I wish. Even if I have not made any
change you will need to do a

git push

This updates the remote branch with the merge.
If I make some changes in my local stable-0.8.6 and decide that these
are important fixes the changes should also go into the master branch.
So then I would

git commit
git push
git checkout master
git merge stable-0.8.6
*this merges all committed changes into the master branch
git push