Re: [Denemo-devel] PutNoteName

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] PutNoteName
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:29:42 +0100

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 01:55 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I was wondering what the expect behavior of PutNoteName is. I am planning on
> rewriting it.
>
> Do we want to run it like this:
> (PutNoteName "g,,")
> This would get the rhythmic value
that is, the duration. The "name" bit in PutNoteName was to indicate
that it was just the note name not the duration being given. My idea was
that it would apply to the note at the cursor position, changing its
notename, ie its step on the scale and its enshift. So perhaps the name
should be d-ChangeNoteName?
But think about what it is you want to do, and design the semantics
around that: you are trying to re-write a chord, keeping its duration
and any special attributes/directives attached to it, and (possibly) its
notes - is that right? Perhaps allowing the user to increase the number
of notes in the chord at the same time?
I think that in the last emails I was arriving at something that might
work - you extract the notes that are present, move the cursor to each
note-position (vertically) and changing the note name that is there; the
tricky bit will be to make this change without getting various Denemo
internal things screwed: generally the safest route is to use tried and
tested denemo functions - remove a note, add a note to the chord -
rather than trying to write the values of obscurely named internal
variables, re-ordering the list of notes etc.

Richard