Re: [Denemo-devel] "Go To Next Interior End" Script. Maybe for git?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] "Go To Next Interior End" Script. Maybe for git?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:22:32 +0100

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 10:31 +0200, Nils Gey wrote:
> > These empty measures are a nasty irregularity of Denemo. They cause
> > unexpected cursor behavior.
> > So I think we should think hard before we make these a feature, and
> > start programming around them.
>
> Oh! This is unexpected, I always liked this about Denemo.
I was just wondering whether perhaps you might say that. I think you
know more about this than I do. Just internally it is an accident, which
I patched up by outputting whole measure rests (do these work in non-4/4
time?).

>  These are very convenient if you compose with more than one staff. Its good
> you don't have to put rests in those measures, because naturally you want to
> fill these holes sometimes, and then you don't have to delete all those rests
> (you have to put in other notation software)
>
> And I don't see how they misbehave.
Well, the cursor does slightly strange things - different from there
being a rest in the measure. So if we have time to think about how we
would like d-CursorRight, d-NextObject etc to work, then that would be
good, before we get too many scripts written to work around strange
behavior. (There is already the "cursor-appending" position at the end
of each measure, where the cursor stops if you do d-CursorRight, and
d-NextObject works around that I think...)
>  If they are blank, they get rests. Maybe this can be printed out as
> multi-measure rests, but otherwise I see no problem.
Well, I wasn't going to move to fix anything here, until I had some good
ideas. So, that's good feedback, thank you!

> I created this script because I think of the "End"-key as a feature which
> jumps to the place where I have to compose/transcribe on. Usually this is the
> real end, but sometimes its just an empty measure because I already composed
> an End for all instruments, but a part between is missing in some staffs.

So was I right in thinking that it should be called d-NextBlankMeasure?
Richard