Re: [Denemo-devel] Transpose

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Transpose
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:37:12 +0100

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 22:52 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:57:35 +0100
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I've done some work on this - setting the interval from selection
> > makes no sense if you are only getting a single note.
>
> Now transpose selection seems to be broken for me for some reason. I
> don't know what broke it.
I think I only tested transpose note yesterday - I have previously noted
that there are problems with ApplyToSelection or whatever it is called,
but haven't had time to look into it. That command really needs
debugging, and I think we could do with better debug tools - there must
be something that lets you see each line of scheme as it is being
executed...

 I was mainly trying to get the code into better shape - reclaiming
GetIntervalFromSelection (or whatever it is called) to get an interval
from the selection, rather than retrieving a note, notionally an
interval from c. And re-naming the get interval which you had developed
from it as get note. The naming convention unfortunately doesn't
distinguished values from procedures - we could improve this (just
because scheme doesn't care, it doesn't mean we don't!)

I ran out of time, but still to be done is to ensure that if you do
select an interval you are warned if it doesn't start at c and you try
to use it for physical transpostion, or better, a normalization to
reduce all transpositions to a canonical form "c xxx".

Also to be done, moving Score->Transposexxx routines into a separate
sub-menu and linking the interval choice (from Edit->Transpose) in
there, and linking the Edit->Transpose items into Notes/Rests->Transpose
so that people can find the routines wherever they sensibly look.

> I am almost done with a script that converts a list like (1 3 2) to
> lilyname "fisis'". I have been working on this so we can use the
> (d-ChangeChordNotes) for transposition purposes.
>
> > So I have added the equivalent for setting the interval c - (current
> > note) from the note at the cursor.
> > But internally the names and structure are not looking nice and there
> > is no warning that "f g" will not do except for Print transpositions.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by Print transpositions. Is that a
> transposition that only happens when Printed or exported rather than in
> the denemo display or memory?
yes, when printed. e.g. the Score->(Print) Transpose Octave Up command,
it puts \transpose c c' into the LilyPond output. It is the only sort of
transposition I use - I always want the display to look like the music I
have transcribed, so that I can continue to make corrections easily,
comparing the original with the display. Composers on the other hand
will often want to transform the Denemo data, so the display changes.
Call this "physical transpose".
Richard