Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 08:27:11 +0100

This little rant has had the merit of getting me ruminating on the MIDI
control a little.
Two points:
        a minor point is that d-DirectivePut-notes-midibytes won't be
needed/used. This is because the midibytes will be emitted at the time
the note starts, which is the same as the time the chord starts (the
chord being the note(s) it contains, naturally). So we will use
d-DirectivePut-chord-midibytes to output a MIDI message with a
note/chord.
        a major point is that we will need an override setting to mean put the
midibytes out at the NOTEOFF time, rather than at the NOTEON time. We
don't have one yet, but (after discussions with alex on #denemo
yesterday) if, for example we want a single note/chord to be in a
different channel we will need to attach the channel change message to
the note/chord along with another directive to switch the channel back
on the 0x80 NOTEOFF. This one would need to have an override flag set to
prevent the channel switches both being emitted at the same time, at
NOTEON.

comments?

Richard