Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: alsa

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Re: alsa
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:47:42 -0500

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 18:04:26 +0100
Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

> The priority would be to remove at the top level things that might
> lead downstream developers to maintain dependencies etc so requiring
> libraries and compiling files not needed. In particular that exchange
> from yesterday that I eavesdropped on at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg1627616.html
>
> had the following snippets:
>
> "- could you drop libasound2-dev from build-depends if --enable-alsa
> is not used?"

Thats odd. They were referring to 0.8.6 but I tried configuring 0.8.6
with --enable-alsa and I get:

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --enable-alsa

libasound was not a dependency of 0.8.6. I think they had their
versions confused or mixed up.

> to which the maintainer replied
>
> "Yes, probably you could but that would cripple the audio playback of
> the software and many people would file bugs against this error."
>
> Which I guess is just caused by us not clearing out the alsa stuff.
> (Once more, let me emphasize that I don't know whether these things
> are needed!)
>
> We got dropped from the Edubuntu distro through pulling in too many
> dependencies.
>
> Removing code does not mean that it is lost with git, but  if it
> involves too much work just snip off the top connections.

ok. I think everything has been removed. It compiles fine and the
plugin directory has been removed from git.

> Thanks for taking this on.

np.

>I realize I have been pushing rather a lot
> of things at you. Shall I do some reading up on JACK MIDI?

I don't think there is any more that you need to know about JACK MIDI
to do what we need to do. All you need to do is take the info in which
Alex gives you, look up the actual midi code (in the table link I sent)
and send it over the interface we created in the fashion in which he
recommends. Maybe I am can help on that but I am not sure how. Perhaps
I will have to talk to you in IRC or something if you think that I can
be of help. If your run the program kmidimon it will give you an idea
of how the midi controler messages work. The table alone would not be
enough for me. In kmidimon I moved the pitch bend wheel (without
pressing the note) and there was about 30 similar midi messages sent
out from the controller. Each message was just the message type and
bend amount. If held in the bent position then a note is pressed. I see
the note on. I release and see note off. Then note sound sharper than
normal. Then I release the wheel and another 30 similar messages
giving controller type and wheel position. The wheel can be released
before noteoff also. This would create a portameno. Alternatively I can
hit note and then bend wheel. I would have to look up if this is what
is used by midi to use different tunning systems or not. So I don't
think attaching this as a directive to a note is a good idea or not.
Unless it can be triggered before or after the note. Perhaps standalone
would work. Can we control precise timing of standalones? Prices timming
would be required. Is this what you are looking for? I don't mean to
frustrate you but I am confused on how yo help. I am at most I am
getting 3 hours of sleep a night and I am constantly surrounded by
distraction. This is certainly effecting cognition.