[Denemo-devel] Comments and windows

From: Nils
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Comments and windows
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 20:06:45 +0200

I saw the comments are now avaible, which is really good.

However, I really think new windows and popups are not a good idea.
Of course I say that because I'm involved personally.

I use a tiling window-manager, wmii, and those resize the Windows at will. Any
program that works with multiple windows, worst case is GIMP, or floating
windows (Denemo's popup warnings) are really annoying.

Even for standard window managers multiple windows per app are not that good.
Many users use Virtual Desktops and if they want to move Denemo from one to
another you have to move all child-windows manually.

But besides my personal view I think frames are a much better idea than extra
windows. You can resize them, tab them and hide them. Even a key is thinkable
that toggles "Hide anything except Notation and Menubar".

I can understand that is might be interesting to use some parts/windows
fullscreen or on a second monitor. But making frames dockable, like Denemo's
toolbar/palletes, should not be that big issue in GTK.

Is there any reason for multiple child-windows and popup-windows as standard?

I once again want to show this screenshot of Geany as example.
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/geany.png

Ignore the left Symbols/Documents/Files frame but the rest is very elegant in
my opinion.

Menubar and Statusbar, tabbed main window, and tabbed console-frame.

Nils