Re: [Denemo-devel] importmidi.c

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] importmidi.c
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:02:25 +0100

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 09:11 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 10:47:18AM +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> > > Something is now broken.
> > Can you establish a test.midi file that shows a problem. Then revert the
> > changes to importmidi.c (they don't have any impact elsewhere) and see
> > if there really is a change?
> > I say this because it may give a clue to other problems that may be
> > there. The changes I made would not break the code unless it was already
> > using some undefined behavior (e.g. there was a comparison between a
> > pointer and an integer, which might do something strange on 64-bit
> > pointers).
> >

> I have removed the voicenum stuff (since it did not work anyway) and removed
> the line that frees filename and now everything is working as it should. I am
> now freeing the data of mididata. I tested it on several midi files and all
> seems good. There are still many features lacking and many things TODO and
> improve upon.
>
> Are we rereleasing 0.8.8. If so this should probably go in it.
No, I don't think we should do that, MIDI import is not that
import(ant:-) and hasn't (I trust) got any worse since 0.8.6.

I realize it is tempting to keep adding things at the last minute but
experience shows that it leads to real disasters where something
elsewhere gets broken.

The menu items causing denemo to crash were a showstopper - someone
could have a whole unsaved score and ... wham, its gone. I did seriously
consider leaving it and requiring folks to update from internet to get
the needed scripts, but this cannot be done on windows yet, so really
that was a showstopper.

I think we can announce the release now.