Re: [Denemo-devel] Bugs, Features and Questions

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Bugs, Features and Questions
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 11:07:41 +0100

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 15:22 +0200, Nils wrote:
> 3)Midi signals in Denemos "Manage Command Set":
> There are many possibilites with MIDI and many commands besides notes
> and musical instructions. There are midi-controllers, hardware, that
> have knobs and motor-faders and additional buttons, and the sustain
> pedal and so on.
>
> How do you assign these to Denemo-actions? Do you think it would be
> possible to you midi-signals just the same as keybindings? In "Manage
> Command Set" you choose a command, press "Assign Key" and it doesn't
> matter if you press [a] or [tab] now, or use the Sustain-Pedal like a
> "shift" key. So Sustain+tab is a different command than tab.
>
> And there are many more midi-commands like the mentioned faders and
> buttons.
>
> It has not to be pretty and written out "sustain pedal". some obscure
> number should be enough. If its auto-detected Denemo has not to know
> at all what this instruction is. It just detects it.

This is rather under-explored. It was not obvious and quick so it hasn't
been done - it was my first idea about the MIDI in. I think I would like
it myself - e.g. to shift the input to sharpen/flatten when playing in
notes (so ees becomes dis for example). At the moment I forget if there
is even a command for this...
What we have at the moment is purely MIDI in on demand - the user has to
initiate getting an event. So we can do scripting responses to MIDI in.
For MIDI in shortcuts we would need to wire in a call to
get_command_for_name() to look for MIDI command names at the (timer
controlled) midi in step, and to create functions to name MIDI events
that the user provides as samples of what he wants to be used as a
shortcut. (The sort of problems here are whether a keypress is to be a
shortcut only if it has exactly the velocity of the sample etc, that is
the MIDI events can be more specific than the user would want). This is
a bit analogous to the pc-keyboard shortcuts: e.g. for a given shortcut
does the state of the NumLock key matter?, the state of the mouse
buttons? etc.

Not a quickie,