Re: MIDI (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Anacrusis script needed)

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: MIDI (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Anacrusis script needed)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:06:33 -0500

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 17:15 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 08:08 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 22:09 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> >
> > > I don't have any understanding of this stuff at the moment, so I
> > can't
> > > help without reading up on it. Usually there is an example that
> > comes
> > > with these libraries that you can modify and integrate - is that
> > where
> > > you started? Or did you work from the docs?
> >
> > I started with the docs and then went to the manual. After studying a
> > few examples I feel like I am getting to grips with it. I just pushed
> > some code to git that emulates a "monosynth" (a synth incapable of
> > polyphony). It is not a synth though because it just writes midi data
> > the jack port. It sends an all note off
> Is sending all note off just something to workaround some bug? You would
> presumably just want to send a noteon and then a noteoff after the right
> amount of time?
> What happens when you try to do this?

If I do just noteon then noteoff a user would to hit "c" then "d" they
would hear c and d at the same time until there corresponding noteoffs
were reached. I did not want that. Currently if not compiled with jack
and the user enters a note via script like this:

(d-C)
(d-Sharpen)

They do not here "c" and "cis" at the same time. The only here "cis".
This is the behavior I am trying to emulate with this particular jack
callback function. Do you have another recommendation? One drawback to
this is that if user enters a triad only the lowest note is heard. I was
trying to recreate consistency amongst the types of midi/audio out. I
can modify this function to check if more than one note exists do all
note off followed by a triad of noteons then a triad of noteoffs. I say
triad but it can be any arbitrary number of notes.