[Denemo-devel] Denemo's Musical Instrument Tuner

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Denemo's Musical Instrument Tuner
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:33:31 +0100

I have noted somewhere in the manual that Denemo's musical instrument
tuner is the best in the world. This was based purely on my experience
with what I could find a few years ago. I didn't realize that it is
still true, until yesterday when I was shown fmit. As with other
programs I have tried in the past, it only detects loud, sustained notes
- whereas Denemo will pick up and display the pluck on a harpsichord
string, showing the drop in pitch as the sound dies away.

What seems to be the case is that Denemo has got the edge because it
uses the libaubio to detect the onset of a note, and only then does it
do refining the pitch detection. Denemo also does some smoothing, and
checking for consistency which may be beneficial (it has never been
played around with much).

I would much prefer if someone were to hack the Denemo code and put it
into fmit, yielding a standalone tuner with good gui and good note
detection/measurement. Then we could retire it from Denemo, where it
does not belong. (I put it there, because, of course, it was the easiest
quickest thing I could do). I don't want to spend time on this myself.