Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo's Musical Instrument Tuner

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo's Musical Instrument Tuner
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:22:42 +0100

On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 11:33 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> I have noted somewhere in the manual that Denemo's musical instrument
> tuner is the best in the world. This was based purely on my experience
> with what I could find a few years ago. I didn't realize that it is
> still true, until yesterday when I was shown fmit. As with other
> programs I have tried in the past, it only detects loud,
I played some more with fmit: it has a setting to detect quieter notes,
but the rest of this email applies with a vengence when detecting these
quieter instruments - fmit has no concept of the attack of a note - not
onset detection that aubio provides - it splurges out a large battery of
random junk every time you pluck a string. Denemo on the other hand
detects what the note is and smoothly follows the pitch thereafter.

Richard