Re: [Denemo-devel] Selections, Copy, Cut and Paste - Bugs and Comments

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Selections, Copy, Cut and Paste - Bugs and Comments.
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:56:00 +0100

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 20:48 +0200, Nils wrote:
> The new Selection and Copy&Paste is really a great addition to current Denemo
> and I think many people, including me, will like it and consider Denemo more
> "robust and stable" after seeing this.
>
> A few issues and comments:
>
> 1) Mulitstaff Copy adds a new empty measure in the end of each staff. This is
> one too much :)
fixed.

> 2) Pasting more than one measure (Multi- or single staff selection does not
> matter)  into an empty measure  does not fill the empty measure but leaves it
> empty and creates new ones behind it. Shouldn't it fill the empty measure
> first?

? well it does now; note if you are pasting into an empty measure, then
ensure you have enough empty measures for what you are pasting (unless
you want overfull measures)
> 3) Dragging / Seclecting is to sensible
(that's French! sensitive in English :-)

>  here. If I click normally fast but move around fast I end in suddenly select
> a note. How is dragging handled? If its in Denemo maybe adding a quarter or
> half of a millisecond delay would feel better

That might be possible - the function scorearea_motion_event is firing off for
small movements, it might be possible to do something in there.
But I am not sure. You can use the window manager to slow down your mouse. In
fact I think on windows you can ask the window manager to slow down the
mouse...but I don't think we want to go there.

> 4) "Delete" on a Selection does not work. Cut does, but it unfortunatly
> copies, too :) (And there is still Backspace. Don't know about it)
There is no RemoveSelection function. Could be scripted.

> 5) Pasting a part or whole measure, but not more than one!, in the beginning
> of the staff or another measure
>  does not create a new one but create a measure with over-length. I don't see
> a problem here, but I want to make sure this is a design choice and not an
> accident.

yes - I think that is ok behavior.

> 6) I like it that multi-staff selection can only select whole measures and
> not parts. Makes the handling more stable!
>
> 7) Selecting with the (Computer-)Keyboard. When a selection is active moving
> the cursor around (left, right, end...) currently does not deselect.
> A normal text-editor behaviour would be to deselect unless you hold the
> shift-key. In my eyes its a good thing to follow this rule.

I disagree, I use Esc to deselect, and the arrow keys to extend selections off
the screen (where you can't drag).
In fact you can use any navigation keys to extend the selection, and some of
these will be shift- ones. I wouldn't want shift
hardwired to mean something... It is a really nice feature!

Richard