Re: [Denemo-devel] Selections, Copy, Cut and Paste - Bugs and Comments

From: Nils
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Selections, Copy, Cut and Paste - Bugs and Comments.
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 21:17:31 +0200

More on this topic:

 > > 4) "Delete" on a Selection does not work. Cut does, but it unfortunatly
 > > copies, too :) (And there is still Backspace. Don't know about it)
> There is no RemoveSelection function. Could be scripted

See my new mail for "Apply to Selection" for further plans.

> > 2) Pasting more than one measure (Multi- or single staff selection does not
> > matter)  into an empty measure  does not fill the empty measure but leaves
> > it empty and creates new ones behind it. Shouldn't it fill the empty
> > measure first?
> >
> ? well it does now; note if you are pasting into an empty measure, then
> ensure you have enough empty measures for what you are pasting (unless
> you want overfull measures)

Don't you agree that it would be better if the new measures would be created
automatically? The most common task, I can imagine, is that someone has an
empty measure (mabye as a placeholder) but wants to paste a whole part (>1
measure) in it.

a)Like said in IRC: Dragging the mouse to select should scroll too, so that you
can select more than the current visible measures.

b)Is it possible to make cursor movement deselect? I know Richard does not like
it so we could make it optional. But I know many people expect programs to
behave this way.

c) Copying (complete) empty measures works, which is good. But if you have an
(non-notation-)object in one of those empty m. it gets buggy.
Lets say you have 4 measures, full, empty, full, empty.
And now you put a bookmark/rehearsel mark in one of those empty measures and
copy/paste it: The rehearsel mark will jump to the last non-empty measure and
all empty measures will gather at the end of the pasted area.

My personal point of view is to make empty measures more robust, but its also
possible to just forbid them. Whatever the solution is, this is a showstopper
bug.

d) As a sidenote: It would be really great if successive empty measures would
be gathered as multi-measure rests as lilypond output. This way we can keep the
timeline and vertical arranging in Denemo intact but also save space in
printout. Maybe its possible to define a threshold in Denemo preferences, maybe
3. And if there are more empty measures than (d-GetTreshold) in a row they are
converted to multi-measure-rests.

Nils