Re: [Denemo-devel] Apply to selection functions and guideline/directive

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Apply to selection functions and guideline/directive for scripters and developers
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:15:05 +0100

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 21:01 +0200, Nils wrote:
> With all those selections-improvements one thing is in my mind again:
>
> I think its a good thing to define once and for all how scripts and the more
> basic elemtents work on selections and how.
>
> However it is achieved from a user perspective it should work with the same
> command. If you have a menu item "change notehead to cross" it should work on
> single notes and if you have a selection it works on the complete selection.
>
> Seperate commands for Single Items and Selections are not userfriendly at all
> and should be avoided at all cost.
well, I think I would agree once we had a undo system, otherwise I am
not so sure. Having a large chunk of your music vanish on trying to
delete the previous note, because the selection was on would be very
sad. In any case the choice between these two ways of working can be
made independently of the Denemo executable, that is it is scriptable

> And what is the cost?
> -Denemos C code handels selections and does the loop and iteration itself?
the cost here would be an interested C programmer

> -Or the scripter has to create an if-switch for any script where it makes
> sense (Change notehead makes sense, but "go to next bookmark" not).
yes, this is fine. Meanwhile we have an "Apply to selection" command,
which I never really have a need for, so I am not sure about its status
(i.e. if it sometimes doesn't work, and if not why not).

> -Or we work towards that there is no difference for Denemo internally if its
> a selection or not, single objects (with the cursor on it) are just
> selections of one in that case.

That would be an implementation detail of the first - implying rather
more thorough cleaning up (re-writing) of the selection code.

Richard