Re: Re: [Denemo-devel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?] Can not compile: fl?= uid.h not f

From: list
Subject: Re: Re: [Denemo-devel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?] Can not compile: fl?= uid.h not found
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:47:17 +0200 (CEST)

> > main.c:43:19: Error: fluid.h:File or Directory not found
> > make[2]: *** [main.o] Error 1
>
> I did not mean to push any of the fluidsynth stuff yet. Oh well. I am
> having trouble booting my computer but I expect to have that fixed
> shortly then I will upload the missing files. Since we are at it we
need
> to choose on a default soundfont to ship with denemo. We also need to
> decide if the configuration of fluidsynth is going to be done in the
> staff properties or is this going to be a tab in preferences. At the
> moment the code does not allow any way to not choose fluidsynth. Are
we
> going to have it by default but allow people to disable it?
>
> Jeremiah

The idea behind embedding fluidsynth was to have a small and fast,
always on and midi-independent sampler avaible so that Denemos behaves
the same way on all systems if you go into "Fluidmode".
A user should be able to send a .denemo file to a friend and be sure
that it sounds at least the way he knows. More about this here:
http://www.denemo.org/index.php/User:Nils

So I think we should deliver only one soundfont, very small in size but
GM compatible, which is hardcoded.  Staffproperties is a good place for
config in my eyes. Maybe, if we want to support it, a tab in global
preferences for values like echo, chorus and overall volume.

In my eyes fluidsynth should be enabled/compiled by default because it
provides the most basic way of playback. A configure option to turn it
off would be nice anyway in case you want a Denemo without any playback,
midi or audio-options. You never know what people want... but the
"Standard" Denemo, like in Debian, should have fluidsynth enabled.

JACKmidi is still there and offers all the possibilities you need to
connect to any app you want, including a real fluidsynth instance. And
its likely to be the more powerful way to use Denemo's playback so a
composer would choose this to connect to a 40 GB linuxsampler instance.

As I've written on my Wikipage I think its important to have two sets of
properties, one for fluidsynth and one for jackmidi and they should not
touch each other. This makes sure you can have a most complex .denemo
file using midi tricks like channel changes and jackmidi ports but if
you want to just have a short look on this file or you want to send it
to a friend you don't have to load/send the entire 40GB linuxsampler
project but can use Denemo's fluidsynth-soundfont.

What I have in mind labeled as "problematic" is
1) What about JACKmidi scheme instructions like channel change? Ignore
them in fluidsynth-mode? For the normal midi-standard fluidsynth follows
its unusual to have channel changes. And having in mind for what the
changes are mostly needed (changing between variants of the SAME
instrument) its maybe good to ignore them. So if is a staff is meant to
be a "Violin" it should sound like a violin all the time. A channel
change would destroy this (for fluidsynth while in jack its probably
just another articulation sample of the same violin)

2)What if a .denemo file uses more than 16 staffs? 16 is the maximum
number of channels for fluidsynth so maybe we can start more instances
of fluidsynth if the user wants it? Staff properties gets a dropdownbox
then where the number of the instance can be chosen. The number of
instances should be saved in the .denemo file, too.

Nils