Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi/Audio out

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi/Audio out
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:05:26 +0100

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 17:25 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> This also makes me wonder if the JACK tab in preferences should move
> to the playback properties. If so then FLUIDSYNTH tab should probably
> go in playback properties also. Then the immediate playback
> toggle isn't this also a playback property?
Yes, I have long thought that the playback properties should be moved to
a tab in properties and others, e.g. MIDI and playbackimmediately,
should join them. *However* some of the things under the Playback menu
are not properties but settings that people would change from moment to
moment - the measures to be played, or the playback tempo, and so these
really belong in a playback controls gadget/menu - you would have Play
and Rewind and so on, and start and end TextEntry boxes (initialized
from selection) and master volume (is there something for this to be
initialized from at the moment?) and so on.

There is likewise a big tidy up needed for things currently in Score
Properties. The paper size will usually be dictated by what paper you
can get in your local store, A4 in Europe and letter in U.S. for
example. So it should be under a Paper tab in general preferences. But a
given musical score will have page-breaks and so on adjusted for one
paper size and will have that paper size embedded: a user will want to
modify it as needed and re-save with their own paper size. It should
also be possible to specify None for paper size and have it create
LilyPond without that field being specified (for Mutopia for example).

Clearly, there is a lot to do here, but any small tidying steps would be
welcome.