Re: [Denemo-devel] Fluidsynth build

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Fluidsynth build
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:54:54 +0000

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 12:43 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> Now I need to make some command available
> like --disable-portaudio. Does this sound appropriately labeled?
People who are building themselves are probably techie enough to use
whatever we give them, though --disable-pitch-detection might describe
better what it is they are disabling. Likewise, --enable-synth might
mean more than fluidsynth, in which case we would want to change all the
references to fluidsynth to synth. (The idea being that fluidsynth is
just an implementation detail, which could change).

> This is
> assuming portaudio is to be compiled in by default for purposes of
> audio
> input (pitch detection).
I think the choice of default requires knowledge of the "politics" of
distros. If your package *requires* a lot of other packages it can
suffer, but if the minimal system does not have features people want it
can suffer too. Ideally we want to offer at least two things, a fully
featured program and a minimal program; better still if we can offer
music education games as straight from the box. But I am not sure how
distros do packaging, what they decide to build or not.
> If portaudio is disabled there is no need for
> libaubio and fftw3 correct?
libaubio certainly, fftw3 I think so, in fact this one might even be
specific to tuning, but I don't suppose we want to start trying to tease
that apart.

> Is there a method of shuting down portaudio
> once it has been initialized. Is this even needed?
Perhaps not - one of the portaudio directions (in or out) does starting
up and shutting down for each use, IIRC. Perhaps wait for a problem to
show, then fix it. I have just done Input->Audio Input and got notes
from a microphone, then Input->No External Input and fludisynth still
played back notes as I entered them. Then I turned on my MIDI keyboard
and chose Input->MIDI input and entered notes from the MIDI keyboard
(these played back immediately thru portaudio as sine-wave notes) and
then switching back to no external input I got fluidsynth notes as I
entered notes from the pc-keyboard.
If you can do the same there may be no problem to fix. The fact that I
hear portaudio notes when inputting from the MIDI controller implies
that you have not (yet?) wired up the d-PutMIDI command to fluidsynth I
guess. (I noticed yesterday that there is d-PutMIDI which puts out 4
MIDI bytes and d-PlayMidiNote, or some such, which plays a note via
MIDI).

>  I mostly just need to
> make sure that /dev/dsp does not have anything keeping it open with
> some
> sort of lock disallowing other things to write to it. I am not sure if
> that is the case or not.
Try those things out, and await reports from users, while we do stuff
that definitely needs doing.
I'll try and have a look at the fluidsynth api.