Re: [Denemo-devel] Building Denemo 0.8.10 from gub, afresh

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Building Denemo 0.8.10 from gub, afresh
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 09:20:16 -0600

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 14:46:07 +0000
Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

> This pattern of the gub build failing at different places each time is
> continuing. On my last attempt from scratch it succeeded with perl but
> then failed with a tar command.
> I think I need to re-install the operating system. Any suggestions as
> to what I might install that would help Denemo become a well-tested
> program? Reliability would be a prime concern, I hate spending time on
> flaky systems.

I would probably just install debian again. I use ubuntu and gub has
never worked for me. It always fails at some point trying to meet the
dependencies. Do you create a seperate /home partition? If so
re-installation is easy with debian based systems. Debian was my first
distribution. I don't know how I managed to install it being such a
newbie at the time. Then a friend convinced me to try Red Hat. I hated
installing software in Red Hat because of the issues of meeting and
installing all the dependencies. Then I tried Gentoo. I liked this for
a while but there was always some issues. It did not just work like
Ubuntu does. I don't think I can recommend Ubuntu either. It takes a
great deal of customization to get things how you like it. I just
recently upgraded and some of my customizations were lost. I did not
want gdm at startup but after upgrade it was set so. The same issue
with pulseaudio. So I would just stick to debian.