[Denemo-devel] staff midi fields

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] staff midi fields
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:48:19 +0000

I was going to upgrade the Drum Clef selection to set channel 9/10 on
the staff and realized that I have to sort out the built-in staff prefs
for this.
My proposal is that

the staff->midi_instrument selection  will create a staff directive
changing the program to 9/10 and (as a caching mechanism set the
staff->midi_prognum field). The staff->midi_instrument field itself will
go as well as the staff->midi_override field.
A script setting the program select will also write the
staff->midi_prognum so that playback immediately can just look this up
(as it does at present) rather than having to search for a staff
directive,
The special code setting the prognum, get_midi_prognum() will go, as
will the get_midi_channel() - this last tries to find "drums" but as
that is not in the list of instruments, it never actually sets channel
9/10 (AFAIK).
The instrument name is being sent as meta data. We could use the prognum
and the array (in midi.c) to get this string and send it. But it might
be better to leave this to the user (i.e. a scripted decision).

Question: how does this tie-in with the JACK stuff???