Re: [Denemo-devel] A Plan for JACK in denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A Plan for JACK in denemo
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:00:33 +0000

On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 20:27 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > The user is responsible for the Denemo.prefs making sense - i.e.
> they
> > have to assign client and port numbers that do not overlap. The user
> > gets told if they have used the same client/port number twice.
>
> I am confused here. I thought that users dint see numbers at all.
> They
> just see names of clients and ports. Having duplicate port names
> would
> not matter if they were in different devices or clients.

hmm, this confusion will have arisen because I haven't actually got this
stuff doing anything, so I haven't seen any lists in the connections
midi tab of qjackctl. I am assuming that the numbers after the : are
intended to match the jack client and port numbers (hmm, I assume when
denemo starts it can start clients numbered 0, 1, ... and ports numbered
0, 1, ... passing names to them). If so, and the user specified the same
number for two different clients that would not be possible.
But do whatever it is that is needed to have a fixed set of clients and
ports appear in Jack for a fixed denemorc at startup. (And that
a .denemo file with staffs with matching name:num string in its
staffprop->midi->midi_device field would sound thru jack on that port).