Re: [Denemo-devel] 0.8.18 Release

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] 0.8.18 Release
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 17:32:45 +0100

I am mainly using Denemo for transcribing old mss/prints and doing
developments that make that use easier: a development gets done by me at
the moment when I find it too annoying not having it. Hence the recent
stuff on Cadenzas and small notes etc.

Some of the things in the list would make life easier for ordinary users
(like the dynamic directives), but are not really urgent for me. I won't
get around to them until there is a demand.

So for the next release I would think of the one that does give me some
annoyance. It is covered in three items:

Default is now non-modal
Advance On Edit entry type
Separate shortcut loading command

I would like to work without switching modes (indeed in practice that is
what I do nearly all the time), using separate shortcuts for the
functions which currently can only be gotten by switching modes.
There is already enough conflict over different user preferences for
shortcuts so I think we need to have separate shortcut files in use for
this. I guess "Default is non-modal" really can only mean that all the
functions that can be gotten via setting a mode and executing a modal
function are available separately. (So that they can be given a shortcut
and hence used without using modes). This is (I think) already in git
for the most basic things (note name moves/edits/inserts) but that
leaves the Advance On Edit ones (important for me) and all the others
(rests and non-printing rests in insert/edit mode) important only for
others/completeness.

Richard