Re: [Denemo-devel] Before Denemo 0.8.18

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Before Denemo 0.8.18
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 09:43:16 +0100

On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 19:42 +0200, Nils Gey wrote:
> 1) I started Denemo for the first time since recent changes and got
> "Default / Composer / Arranger". This is not enough description, even
> for me!
> I didn't know what to do and what to expect and just choose default
Hopefully, choosing default is what people will do if they don't have
any extra knowledge. It would be possible, of course, to put up some
further documentation here, but mostly those who have never run denemo
won't want to read stuff, just give denemo a try. (And it will require
some programming - what is there is a combo box, that does not have a
place for some extra text).

What is bad is that you never see this dialog again. You see it before
you can read the documentation (which you will do once you have played
around and decided that it does actually work - so much free software
simply fails to operate out of the box). But once you have tried the
program it does not reappear to let you try out other configurations.

The "Command Manager" interface needs an over-haul, but what I can do
immediately is show this dialog until you have saved your own
commandset. *BUT* we also need a prominent section in the docs to
describe the current Default/Composer/Arranger options - something like

Default: a simple to use set of commands and shortcuts, [it should
present relatively uncluttered menus, no explicit insertion of LilyPond,
no implicit operations on the selection etc]

Arranger: Commands and Shortcuts tailored to entering large amounts of
music in a continuous fashion, including MIDI in.

Composer: Commands and Shortcuts tailored to manipulating the score,
entering and altering in many ways the music entered. Extensive
selection manipulation.

In fact, they perhaps should be placed in that order, as I suspect most
things in Arranger might be wanted by Composer, unless someone was never
entering music in a continuous fashion but always starting entering just
a note or two and then cutting, pasting, altering etc. (I am sure this
is quite common too).