Re: [Denemo-devel] Apply to selection

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Apply to selection
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:14:10 +0100

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 22:17 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 00:34 +0200, Nils wrote:
> > I think you speak about the old ApplyToSelection script.
> correct
> >  All scripts that test for the Preferences-Variable "Apply shortcuts to
> > selection?" work with my newer, different method
> > "singleandselectionswitcher" defined in denemo.scm
> yes - it may have similar problems, which is why I mentioned the
> subject.
Thinking about it, it won't have a similar problem, since you have to
write a script explicitly saying what is to be applied to the selection
(or not), and, of course, no-one will want to write a script applying
cursor left to the selection - or any other infinitely looping script.
But - to be clear - ApplyToSelection can be used on any keyboard
shortcut, and is what I would recommend for those not confident that
they know if there is a selection or not, possibly off-screen. I don't
think this will change when we improve the selection creation process
(too sensitive to the mouse at present) and/or the selection visibility
(can be completely invisible at present). This is because the newer
selection switcher code is essentially a modal command, doing something
different depending on whether there is a selection or not, and so it
would only be good for people who like working modally.
I wonder if the same critique could be applied to the basic
a,b,c...0,1,2 operations in the new "non-modal" Denemo? Could it be
argued that they do something different if the cursor is appending
compared with if it is not?
I don't get enough practical experience using the pc-keyboard entry to
say whether it feels modal. I have done a little "Shift-n" to change a
duration and "Shift-letter" to insert a note, and it felt quite good - I
felt I knew what I was doing. But we need some folks coming fresh to
Denemo to give a verdict.