Re: [Denemo-devel] 0.8.18 RC2 Windows

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] 0.8.18 RC2 Windows
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 18:58:30 +0100

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 12:37 -0400, Daniel Wilckens wrote:
> Hi Nils,
> Just tried out the RC2--just before you put up the RC3.  I took notes as
> I went along, since I had been away from denemo for a while I figured my
> impressions might be similar to those of a new user.  The most important
> problem is that the keybinding for AddDot did not work, and I also think
> the yellow-note thing should move the cursor to the next note as you're
> entering the note names (A,B,...) after you've input a whole chunk of
> durations.
> -Dan
>
> NOTES on Denemo 8.17 RC 2 on windows XP--initial impressions.
> (I uninstalled old denemo and renamed .denemo in AppData folder)
>
> Selected Default user.
>
> Big X a little weird, looks like a "mistake" pointer.  Maybe a flashing
> vertical green
> bar instead?  We'd have the vertical green bar to know where new
> insertions would
> occur, just like in a word processor (and it's flashing would remind us
> of a cursor) &
> the horitontal black rectangle would show us what pitch the cursor is at.
>
> It plays drum sounds when I enter note durations.  Funny at first, but
> makes sense if
> you just enter rhythms.
>
> *****When I go back to enter notes via pc keys a-g, it does not move the
> cursor along,
> which has the unfortunate effect of only having changed the first note
> if I just typed
> in a whole bunch.  In order to work I have to cursor along, which is a
> speed-killer.

yes using just rhythms may not be useful with a pc-keyboard, as you have
to type sharp or flat as well - you could script up for a-g to edit the
note and move on while sharp flat edited the note before (I guess). Just
rhythms is for MIDI keyboard input, where it does advance.

> ******Can't seem to enter a dotted note--or else the yellow is too
> light.********
> (Shouldn't have to dig through menus for this--everybody would guess the
> period should
> add a dot)  Weird.. the Notes/Rests->Edit Duration menu says that . is
> bound to Add
> Dot, but it doesn't work and does not FIND it as a shortcut when I go to
> manage command
> set->Find and type a period, but looking at the list of commands, at
> AddDot is has a period there under
> shortcuts.  For some reason it's not working.  Tried with numLock
> on/off-no luck.  Caps
> lock is off.  FURTHER TROUBLESHOOTING:  I added the keybinding of the
> period key--now
> it shows TWO shortcuts: 'period' and '.'  which is pretty bizarre.
Sorry,  those were old shortcut names, I have pushed a fix to git. You
can use the dot on the numeric keypad as well now.

> ***Can't seem to add a note to chord--why not enter for this??***I had
> to load default
> composer keybindings to get this to work.
Enter is also in the Classic keybindings. I have changed this to Insert
for the new default - old timers will not wish to change I am sure, but
it makes good sense I think, as there are keys for Inserting specific
notes in a chord now so Insert at cursor is not so important.

> Hmmm...why no keybinding for Keysignature?  Or for just about anything
> for that matter.
>
> Staff/voice menu:  A bit hard to scan for what you want--in my case, to
> add a staff.
> It says "Insert staff" and "Add voice"--I think "Add ..." would be
> easier for both,
> consistent and concise.
>
> Hmmm... I just entered a bunch of 16ths, filled a measure, and then used
> CTRL+LEFT expecting to
> go to beginning of that measure... but it went back to the measure
> BEFORE this
> one--seems more intuitive if it went to beginning of this measure, and
> then to the one
> before it, just like how the word processors I'm used to go to start of
> current word
> and *then* to the next one before.
>
> Clef chooser moved cursor to top of that staff...???
>
> Why is the initial clef and timesig over a grey background?  Yes,
> because we can click
> on them to edit since we're at beginning of staff... how about this: at
> beginning of
> staff, instead of grey background, we have them looking normal
> appearance, solid black
> in color.  When we're NOT at beginning of staff, the clefs and
> signatures could be
> shown in medium grey (the actual symbols, not the backgrounds) to
> indicate that they
> are implicit here, not actually having been put there in the score, and
> they're not
> editable by clicking at that point.
yes that sounds good, however I have in mind to move to a new sort of
drawing area where these can become buttons.

All other comments not otherwise remarked on above sound like useful
suggestions to me.