[Denemo-devel] [bug #30443] Quick lilyponding in print view window

From: anonymous
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #30443] Quick lilyponding in print view window
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:05:47 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Quote from DESIGN.lilypond:
Well, mainly, it just doesn't seem that there's much advantage to a GUI
environment for putting playing directions directly into the music,
fine-tuning the way the music is beamed, putting multiple independent voices
onto the same staff, adjusting a staff's relative position, and other things
like that.

I say, yes there is an advantage!  Namely, lilyponding a huge score can take
a long time.  If I want to tweak a few slurs, beams, voice collisions, etc.,
it can be much, much easier in a gui if we had a command that previewed JUST
the current screen or so of the score--so a miniature lilypond score would be
generated, processed and displayed in the print view window at a keypress.
Trying to do this in text is a much greater hassle.

I have used lilypond on a large orchestral score and I found the tweaking
process to be very frustratingly slow.  There may be features in lilypond to
isolate certain measures for typesetting, but I only know of the one that just
does the last 10 bars or so--not helpful if you need to see something in the
middle of the piece.  If there is already a good command for this type of
thing in lilypond, then denemo could use that for this command--setting the
start bar to the first one displayed and showing the next 3 or 4 bars
depending on the complexity and meter.  Just need to be sure it's pretty fast
and doesn't process the whole piece too much.

-Dan W.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?30443>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/