[Denemo-devel] [bug #31557] 0.8.21 view quirks on windows-not exactly a

From: anonymous
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #31557] 0.8.21 view quirks on windows-not exactly a bug
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 20:59:43 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Hi, I don't mean to be picky, but the new method of drawing the staffs at
different levels of horizontal stretching in order to make it all fit exactly
to the right side of the "page", I find to be unattractive and confusing.  It
doesn't seem right that sometimes the notes are drawn at one width and then
you pan right into the next bar and things are suddenly drawn a whole lot
thinner, because that next bar has more notes.
Would it be harder to just draw the whole score view page without stretching,
with the last visible measure extending beyond the right edge of the view and
just cropping whatever doesn't fit?  Instead of trying to force a whole number
of measures into the view at all times?
This method of drawing is also noticeably slower on windows.  I guess because
it's putting a more intense workload on cairo?

The less the view changes from one moment to the next, the clearer everything
will be, in my opinion.  Just my two cents.

An even bolder change would be that, during playback, the whole score would
be rendered once (or once every page width) onto a cairo "canvas" or whatever,
and smoothly pan through it as the score progresses.  The cursor would be
disabled and the current-note highlighting would be in a transparent layer
above that one.  This is coming from someone with no experience or knowledge
of cairo, but it seems to me that it should be doable.  This could potentially
fix some of the windows playback problems, using less cairo calls perhaps,
which I would guess are due to cairo, although those problems may have
appeared earlier, with the intro of fluidsynth.  What do you think?

-Dan W.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31557>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/