Re: [Denemo-devel] 1) selecting with keyboard 2) swing notes

From: Nils Gey
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] 1) selecting with keyboard 2) swing notes
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 18:13:53 +0100

Hello Bric (I'm sorry if this is not your real name),

Welcome to our mailinglist, I am glad if this could be of help:

first: What version (and possibly Distribution) do you use? Current Denemo
version is 0.8.22, the video you saw is recorded by me and uses 0.8.18 or
0.8.20 I think.
The Dialog where you can choose Keyboard profiles is in there, but not in older
versions like 0.8.10 which comes with Ubuntu.

Try to upgrade you version, please. If you are on Ubuntu, use this PPA to
install 0.8.22: https://launchpad.net/~tillux/+archive/t-audio

In 0.8.22 you should see the Profile choose on startup, from your description
use "Composer" as profile. If not please delete or move your /home/x/.denemo
directory to see it again.

You have normal Shift Arrow, PageUp/Down (staffs), + Ctrl (whole measures) etc.
there. There you can use the "Gaming Cursor Keys" W, A, S, D to modify the
pitch up and down (W/S), octaves up and down (Shift+W/S) or half/double the
duration (A/S), duplicate notes (E) etc. etc.

2) The best way for swing notes:
a) Without playback:
If this is for Jazz write your piece binary ("straight") and indicate on the
top that the musician should render one rhythm-layer as swing, typically 8th
notes.
If this is for classical or other its typical to write as it sounds, this is
also

b) With playback.
You can either write 4/4 or 2/4 or whatever you like and make everything full
of triplets or, as you suggested, use 12/8. I personally like the 12/8 method
better. Its easier to read and notate.

c) This would be writing straight/binary but letting the playback of one
rhythmic layer be ternary. Unfortunatly we do not support this method yet.

Greetings,

Nils
Denemo