[Denemo-devel] StepRightAfter as a global variable -> preferences

From: Nils Gey
Subject: [Denemo-devel] StepRightAfter as a global variable -> preferences
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:28:58 +0100

hello list,

It occurs to me that Denemo is inconsistent with its decision if after a
command is done it should step right or not.

This begins at a very fundamental level: Notes step right after insert, rests
don't. Chord symbols do, dots dont etc.

There are some commands where one way is good and should be fixed. I think
inserting a note should step right afterwards, so should rests (we have a bug
here).

But for a major amount of commands, especially scripts, this depends on the
situation you are currently in (as a user).

I suggest to create a new preferences value "Step Right After Command" which
then can be used in scripts as an if command (or just a small function, so its
MoveCursorRightConditional). We can bind toggling this behaviour on a key.
I volunteer to look through current scripts and change them and report built-in
commands.

Maybe most built-in commands should not step right at all since they are
becoming more and more just ingredients for scripted variants.

Before further developing this thought I want to wait for your opinion.

Nils