Re: [Denemo-devel] Strange things in Denemo

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Strange things in Denemo
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 00:21:52 -0500 (EST)

I finally compiled denemo today, both the git (from a few hours ago) and the
denemo_0.8.22.orig.tar.gz source ball.

The resulting apps behave strangely (in my newbie perception)

But before I elaborate on the strangeness, a note about dependencies: Even
though I appear to have installed all the dependencies with "sudo apt-get
build-dep denemo" and then by apt-get'ting a couple additional packages which
./configure complained about, my subsequent dpkg installation (after removing
the said local builds) still produces dependency errors. These errors actually
cripple my apt functionality system-wide, making all apt-get installations fail
due to unmet dependencies. This problem does not go away until a "sudo apt-get
install -f" purge, which involves purging (removing) the denemo deb package
altogether(!). See the deb package install errors below. However, again, the
source compile appears to succeed with no errors -- dependency or otherwise.

Back to the compiled denemo versions -- the 0.8.22 tarball and the current git
(which currently self-identifies as "0.8.23"):

--------------------------
Observations running denemo locally compiled from the 0.8.22 source tarball:
(in Composer mode (profile))

* number insertion didn't work, but on another opening (upon reinstallation), it
worked.

* The W and S keys don't work, to move pitch up and down.

* The minus (-) key flattens the pitch and writes the symbol. The plus (+) key
does not sharpen. (So far this never worked in "Composer" -- I included this in
my (forthcoming) list of bugs and observations).  The sharp addition does work
in arranger mode.

* Can't play back existing file (that played (sounded) with the dep package
denemo).

--------------------------
Observations running git denemo (0.8.23):

(By the way, to install the current git head AFTER installing the previously
mentioned 0.8.22 tar ball, I had to delete the
/usr/local/share/denemo/actions/menus/ObjectMenu/ directory because, apparently,
there was some significant directory/file structure rewrite between the two
versions that produces a "cp" error of (can't overwrite directory with a
non-directory) (is this deliberate restructure or a rewrite?)

Again, in Composer mode (profile) ---'
* no number insertions

* the "+" key does not sharpen in this mode, but does so in arranger mode.

* no playback here either.

-----------------------------
obviously, my testing is skimpy, as I am just learning my way around the app

------------------------------
dpkg install error:

$ sudo dpkg -i denemo_0.8.22-0ubuntu4_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package denemo.
(Reading database ... 271337 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking denemo (from denemo_0.8.22-0ubuntu4_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of denemo:
denemo depends on libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.21.6); however:
Package libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 is not installed.
denemo depends on libjack-jackd2-0 (>= 1.9.5~dfsg-14) | libjack-0.116; however:
Package libjack-jackd2-0 is not installed.
Package libjack-0.116 is not installed.
denemo depends on libportaudio2 (>= 19+svn20100220); however:
Version of libportaudio2 on system is 19+svn20090620-0ubuntu2.
dpkg: error processing denemo (--install):
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for fontconfig ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache...
Processing triggers for python-support ...
denemo

-----------------------------

I also have to say again that denemo seems to be a superb app, with impressive
features now and more ambitious ones in the making. Just to pick one: I am
particularly impressed by the ability to insert MIDI directives of tempo changes
and even have the option to either set the quarter note or a DOTTED quarter note
to a particular duration, in the middle of a score. Bravo!

That said, the playback still needs lots of tweaking; but then, playback seems
to be a gratuitous extrathat is, at least initially, and not the main thrust of
the application (the thrust seems to be the transcribing and visually rending
scores)

thanks again; and I am extremely looking forward to working with denemo!