[Denemo-devel] MIDI in when composing

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] MIDI in when composing
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:03:08 +0000

I had occasion to use Denemo for composing a second part to accompany a
medley of Playford dance tunes. The way I found to do this was to get
Denemo to play a small part of the tune and experiment with possible
accompanying phrases. I clicked on the Midi In->Score button to do this,
which changes the label to Midi In -> Recorder, in effect this is MIDI
Thru (it is actually recorded only when playback is in progress).

However, when I had a phrase I liked I had to switch back to entering
the notes in the score. I realized that what was needed here was to be
able to hold down the Alt key while playing so effectively switching
temporarily to the other condition of that button. If I need to modify
what I have entered then I can hold the shift key and play the note.
I have implemented these (they only affect the MIDI in behavior when
that Midi In->Score button has been toggled to Recorder).

What is still to do:

        1) Change the label of that button when Shift, Ctrl, Alt is pressed
(again when it is in that mode) so that you have a mode indicator
        2) Come up with good labels for this button that hint at what it does.
        3) Decide whether to turn off recording if one of those Mod keys is
pressed - at the moment it records always during playback.