Re: [Denemo-devel] Snippet broken?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Snippet broken?
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 21:31:32 +0100

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 19:50 +0200, Nils Gey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If I remember correctly snippets were some kind of copy/paste buffers where a
> button press inserts exactly this.
Well, they are a lot more sophisticated than that :) If you select a
snippet then play in notes (or type them in) then the notes are inserted
following the rhythm of the snippet. So the snippet extends the notion
of prevailing duration to a prevailing rhythmic pattern.

What originally happened when you clicked on a snippet was that you
changed the prevailing duration to that snippet. I too, thought that I
had changed it to insert the whole snippet. And indeed the code has such
a feature commented-out and the insert the first note of the rhythm
substituted.
This latter does make sense - having selected the rhythm and inserted
the first note you could continue entering notes and they will follow
the rhythm. This, as usual with "following rhythms" makes best sense
when playing notes in from MIDI controller, ie it goes along with
entering pure rhythms and then playing over them - you select the
prevailing rhythm and then play over.
Pasting in the snippet as a clipboard could also be useful, especially
if you have no MIDI in.

> But now all it does is inserting quarter notes
No, not quarter notes, it is inserting the first note of the snippet -
you would play or type in a note name to continue entering further notes
following the pattern.
>  on the cursor position, no matter which rhythm is really in the snippet. And
> it does it step by step!
>
> It seems something bad happened here.
What do we want?
Currently we have Select Snippet via a pc-keyboard command, but in some
ways it would seem more natural for that to be the mouse click

right and left mouse click could be used

or (as with entering pure rhythms) the presence of the MIDI-in could
dictate the behaviour.

For transcribing I have found that it is *so* quick to type in a rhythm
that I don't resort to snippets, so I don't have a strong interest.

Richard