Re: [Denemo-devel] Snippet broken?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Snippet broken?
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:00:20 +0100

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 21:31 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 19:50 +0200, Nils Gey wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > If I remember correctly snippets were some kind of copy/paste buffers where
> > a button press inserts exactly this.
> Well, they are a lot more sophisticated than that :) If you select a
> snippet then play in notes (or type them in) then the notes are inserted
> following the rhythm of the snippet. So the snippet extends the notion
> of prevailing duration to a prevailing rhythmic pattern.
>
> What originally happened when you clicked on a snippet was that you
> changed the prevailing duration to that snippet. I too, thought that I
> had changed it to insert the whole snippet. And indeed the code has such
> a feature commented-out and the insert the first note of the rhythm
> substituted.
> This latter does make sense - having selected the rhythm and inserted
> the first note you could continue entering notes and they will follow
> the rhythm. This, as usual with "following rhythms" makes best sense
> when playing notes in from MIDI controller, ie it goes along with
> entering pure rhythms and then playing over them - you select the
> prevailing rhythm and then play over.
> Pasting in the snippet as a clipboard could also be useful, especially
> if you have no MIDI in.
>

> > But now all it does is inserting quarter notes
> No, not quarter notes, it is inserting the first note of the snippet -
> you would play or type in a note name to continue entering further notes
> following the pattern.
> >  on the cursor position, no matter which rhythm is really in the snippet.
> > And it does it step by step!
> >
> > It seems something bad happened here.
> What do we want?
> Currently we have Select Snippet via a pc-keyboard command, but in some
> ways it would seem more natural for that to be the mouse click
>
> right and left mouse click could be used
>
> or (as with entering pure rhythms) the presence of the MIDI-in could
> dictate the behaviour.

I have done the last of these, as it makes for consistency.
Unfortunately the first option I mentioned above is not possible since
it turns out these buttons are GtkToolButton which only gets a "clicked"
signal, rather than the more detailed signals (left click, right click
etc) that some widgets get.

Richard