Re: [Denemo-devel] Merging feature-guile-loadpath, was Re: Denemo Break

From: R. Mattes
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Merging feature-guile-loadpath, was Re: Denemo Breakthrough
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 21:19:29 +0200

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 20:10:03 +0100, Richard Shann wrote
> On Sun, 2011-07-24 at 20:10 +0200, R. Mattes wrote:
> >
> > BTW, would it be possible to merge my load-path branch into main?
> > I'd love to use it for the midi input stuff (and that would then
> > contain
> > code that does keyword lookup ... ;-)
>
> Sounds good to me. I can do the merge, but I am not too clear (after
> reading the  README.feature-guile-loadpath file) on what to look
> for.

Not much.
> I think I understand that with it you could write modules and
> put them in $(DATADIR)/modules and they would be picked up?

Yes, that's pretty much all it does. Investment into the future.

> Is there
> code to install this directory if it were created in git - I didn't
> spot it.

No. I wanted to wait until I have some stuff to put there. But the
directory doesn't need to exist.

> Perhaps Nils can comment - I notice he created a denemo-modules
> directory, but this bit of code
>
> (define (use-denemo string)
>       ;(use-modules (actions denemo-modules (string->symbol string)))) ;
> maybe not (string->symbol) but (eval)
>       (load (string-append "denemo-modules/" string ".scm")))

But use-modules is a macro! That code does not what Nils probably wants to
do. It would be possible to write a macro to do this ... but not now.

> at the start of denemo.scm implies that he turned back from using scheme
> modules (in fact IIRC he mentioned something about that on #denemo).
>
> Richard

That's the problem with split communication: I post in the news list,
get responses on the mailing list (that never show up in the news archives)
and Nils' comments on/problems with modules disapear in the void of IRC.

 Cheers, RalfD

--
R. Mattes -
Hochschule fuer Musik Freiburg