Re: [Denemo-devel] Modifying Denemo.ttf

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Modifying Denemo.ttf
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:50:23 +0100

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 18:24 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> Feel free to send via email.

Well, I am forgetting that is what git is for. I have checked in the
font as Denemo2.ttf, we can just delete the old one and rename this one
as soon as everything is ready.
I have found that the font substitution prefers fonts in ~/.fonts
Which provides a great way to develop: copy Denemo2.ttf to
~/.fonts/Denemo.ttf
when you then run Denemo you should see menu items for inserting
durations have lost all their music notes, becoming 0 for whole note
etc. This is because it is finding your Denemo.ttf in .fonts instead of
the one in /usr/local/share/fonts...
*and* you should find that the Directives menu now has the more readable
Metronome Mark o| = o| label, with the larger quarter notes coming from
the new font.
So you can use fontforge on the font in ~/.fonts and you will see your
new font used everywhere on your system for music symbols (ie for the
utf8 chars in the \xF0\x9D\x85... range). You get instant feedback on
how your design looks mixed with other characters.
Don't take my quarter note as sacrosanct, it is just a first go at
hacking something to look more legible. Also I have fiddled with the
whole note I think. I have to add some spaces before and after the music
symbols, which might be a minor nuisance when writing scripts
(remembering to do so) and might be avoidable if the widths of the chars
was set properly in the font.
If there is anything unclear don't wait to ask, just ask.
(Oh, and it took me a while to find the music symbols in fontforge,
there is a goto command with a blank selector, which if clicked on has
all the sets, LATIN-1 etc, and Musical Symbols is in the long list -
clicking on it gets you just that \xF0\x9D\x85... range).