[Denemo-devel] A Good Idea - facsimile mixer.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] A Good Idea - facsimile mixer.
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:01:07 +0100

Recently I have been transcribing old prints and manuscripts using
Denemo. My target, as usual, is to enter the music in the the time it
takes to play it through twice (once for the rhythm, once for the
notes). In fact, I pretty much achieved this partly because the slower
and easier parts can be played more quickly than in a performance. The
main difficulty is still losing one's place, particularly entering the
rhythm, where I tend to enter a whole movement at a time.
The problem is essentially that the music you are transcribing is in
another window on the screen and it is easy to return to a place where
the rhythm is the same as the bit you just drummed in.

So it occurred to me that what would be good would be a way to associate
the source more directly with the transcription. Each measure would have
attached to it the measure of music it transcribes. This would have
other merits - a user could consult the original material if they
doubted your editorial decision.

So in this scheme you would first of all go through the original print
dragging a box over each measure - each time you clicked a measure would
be created in Denemo with the image of the measure the user has outlined
attached.
Then, when playing a measure in, the original would be visible
immediately below the current measure.

There is a parallel here with the earlier idea I mentioned - the audio
score mixer. This was attaching an audio original to a Denemo score. In
each case I envisage the user dividing the original up into measures and
then adding stuff in Denemo that corresponds to the original, be it an
accompaniment or a transcription.