[Denemo-devel] [Fwd: Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Trying to upload new release

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [Fwd: Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Trying to upload new releases]
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 09:27:58 +0100

Jeremiah, Nils,

The attached email has some useful information about the fto uploading.
Basically, to avoid potential problems it is best to upload the big
files before the sig file.

Richard

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [gnu-prog-discuss] Trying to upload new releases Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 01:00:44 GMT
Hi Steve,

Glad it worked.  Since I already wrote out this reply I'll
send it for whatever future debugging value it may have ...

    Sorry to bother you with something trivial, but I am having
    difficulty uploading a new release of my package, Electric.

It's no bother and not trivial.  We want uploads to work easily and
reliably!  (I'll keep the list in cc.)

First, I surmise that what might be happening is that the ftp upload
processor is working on the file before it has finished uploading.
Thus, I can suggest trying either
1) upload all the files to fencepost.gnu.org first, and then go to
ftp-upload, and/or
2) upload the big data file first, and then the directive/sig files.

Second, FWIW, there is a mailing list now to archive the ftp upload
reports.  Looking at a recent one, e.g.,
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/ftp-upload-report/2011-10/msg00014.html
it seems the directive file contains only
directory: electric

That's the "old" format of directive files.  If problems persist, it
could be worth trying the new format, specifying the filename:
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/FTP-Upload-Directive-File-_002d-v1_002e1.html

You might find it convenient to generate the needed stuff with the
gnupload script,
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/build-aux/gnupload

Third, regarding file size, I don't know if there is a limit, but if so,
it's bigger than 28mb.  The latest gcc tarballs are over 90mb ...

Best,
Karl

--- End Message ---