Re: [Denemo-devel] PDF window

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] PDF window
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 08:32:05 +0100

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 23:23 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On 10/20/2011 12:07 PM, Richard Shann wrote:
> > Jeremiah,
> >
> > I have now got the pdf widget working inside Denemo. The old print view
> > window is now showing a pdf of the score, and point and click now works
> > entirely internally inside Denemo (the previous version only worked with
> > xpdf and used external files and Unix signals to do the business).
> > For some reason, although the Print Dialog pops up, and lists my printer
> > correctly, I get no printing. This is not critical, because the previous
> > route to printing (ie the PrintPreview command) is still working as
> > before, launching an external pdf viewer.
> > Before I can check in though, I need the new dependency, which is
> > libevince2 (for building Denemo you need libevince-dev).
> > Can you create this dependency in the make system, so that the compile
> > and link steps have
> > -I/usr/include/evince/2.30
> >    -levview
> > (or whatever pkgconfig says are the include and lib flags)
>
> Debian Sid has evince >= 3.0.
I am not sure you are right here. Looking at this page

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libevince&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

it seems that the numbering system is a bit complex.
Package libevince3 has the version of evince marked as 2.32 (which is
still gtk2 I am told). It is only package libevince3-3 that is version
3.2
So either libevince2 or libevince3 should be ok. But not libevince3-3
which only the latest gtk3 programs could use.

I think what this all means is they are continuing to make a gtk2
version available well into the future (because it will be a long time
before everyone is ready for gtk3).

> This is going to require some massaging
Are you sure? I am thinking that the package creators are probably
trying to minimize breakage of existing packages' dependencies. But,
beyond that thought, I really don't know. It may be that if it is
libevince3 we will need to omit the call to ev_init(), no longer needed,
or they may have provided a dummy to make the transition painless.

I suggest to check in the most straightforward thing first, to provide
the libevince library and include flags. I can then test if it will
build  at least with Debian Stable, and then we can add other cases if
they break.

Richard