Re: [Denemo-devel] PDF window

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] PDF window
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:37:44 -0500

On 10/21/2011 02:32 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 23:23 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
On 10/20/2011 12:07 PM, Richard Shann wrote:
Jeremiah,

I have now got the pdf widget working inside Denemo. The old print view
window is now showing a pdf of the score, and point and click now works
entirely internally inside Denemo (the previous version only worked with
xpdf and used external files and Unix signals to do the business).
For some reason, although the Print Dialog pops up, and lists my printer
correctly, I get no printing. This is not critical, because the previous
route to printing (ie the PrintPreview command) is still working as
before, launching an external pdf viewer.
Before I can check in though, I need the new dependency, which is
libevince2 (for building Denemo you need libevince-dev).
Can you create this dependency in the make system, so that the compile
and link steps have
-I/usr/include/evince/2.30
    -levview
(or whatever pkgconfig says are the include and lib flags)
Debian Sid has evince>= 3.0.
I am not sure you are right here. Looking at this page

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libevince&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

http://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/libevince-dev/filelist

This shows that the package libevince-dev has file

/usr/lib/pkgconfig/evince-document-3.0.pc

This is also true of Ubuntu and will likely be the case for fedora. So I
suggest we make this an optional feature via ./configure --enable-evince.
In ubuntu libevince-dev contains evince-document-3.0.pc. This tries to point to
gtk-3 headers and breaks compilation.

I will push this idea then we can change it later when we find a better idea.

Jeremiah

it seems that the numbering system is a bit complex.
Package libevince3 has the version of evince marked as 2.32 (which is
still gtk2 I am told). It is only package libevince3-3 that is version
3.2
So either libevince2 or libevince3 should be ok. But not libevince3-3
which only the latest gtk3 programs could use.

I think what this all means is they are continuing to make a gtk2
version available well into the future (because it will be a long time
before everyone is ready for gtk3).

This is going to require some massaging
Are you sure? I am thinking that the package creators are probably
trying to minimize breakage of existing packages' dependencies. But,
beyond that thought, I really don't know. It may be that if it is
libevince3 we will need to omit the call to ev_init(), no longer needed,
or they may have provided a dummy to make the transition painless.

I suggest to check in the most straightforward thing first, to provide
the libevince library and include flags. I can then test if it will
build  at least with Debian Stable, and then we can add other cases if
they break.

Richard

because the pkg-config file is named evince-view-3.0.pc. your version
would be called evince-view-2.3.pc. We use to do something similar to
this with portaudio versions. Theses lines would needed to be added for
2.3.

PKG_CHECK_MODULES(EVINCE, evince-view-2.3>= 2.3)
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $EVINCE_CFLAGS"
LIBS="$LIBS $EVINCE_LIBS"

PKG_CHECK_MODULES(EVINCE, evince-view-3.0>= 3.0)
CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $EVINCE_CFLAGS"
LIBS="$LIBS $EVINCE_LIBS"

Perhaps I need to create a couple booleans to set the results of the
pkg_check. Something like VERSION2 VERSION3.
sudo code:

if (VERSION2 || VERSION3)
    CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $EVINCE_CFLAGS"
    LIBS="$LIBS $EVINCE_LIBS"
else
    stop ./configure with error message

Jeremiah

   and I can then check in the code I have?
I believe if the version is greater than 2.32 there is a possibility
that some conditional code may be needed as the ev_init() call is no
longer needed (but perhaps they have made it a dummy).

Richard