Re: [Denemo-devel] "group as tuplet" ?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] "group as tuplet" ?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:28:57 +0100

On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 20:58 -0400, Bric wrote:

> On October 23, 2011 at 4:47 PM Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 15:06 -0400, Bric wrote:
> > > Well... four months later... bump.
> > >
> > > (or is my idea
> > the one about tripletizing a selection? It's an ok idea I think - one of
> > thousands such - a few lines of scheme would do it, but it will have to
> > take the fancy of someone who can write those few lines.
>
> Thanks for replying. This is taking *MY* fancy, because I have to transcribe
> something with a lot of triplets.  (Of course, like I said, I am greedy for a
> more generalized, "n-tuplet" feature, which even handles a mix of notes and
> rests within the tuplet set. And subdivided tuplets. But I'm getting ahead of
> myself.)
>
> Anyhow... where would one start with adding to the code? Is it in the c
> source,
> or some meta-command file (*.scm  ?  )

Under View->Scheme there is a window where you can write code which can
then be made into a command in a menu (by right clicking in the menu
where you want the new command to appear, and choosing Save as New Menu
Item).
In fact, you can write that command without even knowing scheme, by
clicking Record in the scheme window. Then you click the menu items in
sequence to perform the task you want and it records the commands in the
scheme window. (You have to use the menu items to record, not
shortcuts). Something like

(d-GotoMark) ;;goes to the start of the selection
(d-InsertTriplet)
(d-GotoPoint);; goes to end of selection
(d-MoveCursorRight) ;; to insert after the selection
(d-EndTuplet)

well, *something* like that. The commands you need are in the
Navigation->something (select?) and the Notes/Rests->Tuplets menus

I am not at all sure you really want this though, creating selections is
slow. There is a command that starts/ends a triplet on alternate
invocations, this is the one I use all the time. In Arranger it is
hotkey TAB (it is so useful!), all you do is go to the start, hit tab go
to the end hit tab and continue in that fashion through your score.
Likewise, I thought that dragging over notes to create slurs would be
good (there are mouse shortcuts to do that, something like drag with
caps lock on), but trying it I found that the create/extend/reduce slur
command hotkeys were better (these are 7 8 9 in Arrange profile).

> > What does need thinking about is how we can cope with the increasing number
> > of
> > commands
> > - I already find it difficult sometimes to locate a command, and I know
> > it exists, which is a great advantage.
>
> We could start with a simple lookup table of all the shortcuts (just a
> straight
> list).
Well those ones always show up in the menus as having bright blue
shortcuts, easy to spot. It is the little-used commands, especially the
ones not included in the menu system but left on disk (... the More
command) that are hard to find.

> Perhaps, afterwards, additionally, display the shortcuts hierarchically,
> corresponding to the hierarchy of the pull-down menu items they map to.
that is what the menu hierarchy is, and they are as logically ordered as
I could manage. It is searching apropos a keyword better than at present
(at present you go to the manual and search in the table that lists all
the commands). The table that lists all commands is generated from
Scheme commands that are available inside Denemo (in denemo.scm). But
more would be needed to search it for words and display a list of
possible commands with their menu locations.

Richard