[Denemo-devel] Score Layouts and tooltips

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Score Layouts and tooltips
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 20:57:41 +0100

I have just checked in the work I have been doing over the past month on
allowing a Denemo file to have more than one score layout saved with it.
The tooltip work is also now in. The features are:

      * Tooltips
              * Tooltips now available on all the menus and menu items.
              * Control over delay before tooltips appear and tooltip
                browsing in preferences
      * Score Layouts - print a variety of score layouts without
        altering the score
              * In addition to the standard Full Score, Single Part,
                Reduced Score, you can now define score layouts to print
                just one section (e.g. the chorus, or the solo parts in
                score).
              * Blank Pages can be inserted specific to a score layout.
              * Lyrics can be positioned above and below the staff (for
                two parts to a staff)
      * Conditional Directives
              * Enabling the page turns to be defined separately for
                Full Score and Single Part layouts
              * Enabling parts which have identical first and second
                time bars to dispense with these when printing a single
                part.
              * Enabling printing using different clef changes, or for
                transposing instruments without altering the score.

This work generates a rather differently organized LilyPond file, so
there could well be incompatibilities with earlier files, or commands
that no longer work, though I have tried to avoid this. The only one I
know of is that anyone using the "Typeset Denemo Barlines Literally"
command (DenemoBar) will need to re-issue it for the files that have
used it.

The tooltips will make Denemo *much* more accessible to beginners, when
they start to get annoying you can slow them up or stop them using the
preferences.

The score layout view has some infelicities but is otherwise working to
the best of my knowledge - it avoids any possibility of generating
unprintable scores misusing staff groupings, and allows you to see the
staff groupings visually and move them around for a particular layout.
Note that score layouts are just stored as LilyPond text, so all
graphical work on them needs to be done in one session. I don't think
this is too serious a limitation as creating a new one is only a matter
of a minute or two.

This will need testing, but I think there is enough added value here for
a new release.