Re: [Denemo-devel] tablature status (August 2012)

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] tablature status (August 2012)
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 19:35:14 +0200

Il 08/08/2012 19:09, Richard Shann ha scritto:
It seems to be a bug in gtk - if I enquire if the cursor is visible it
says it is. If I put the editor in a top level window, it is becomes
actually visible. Somewhere in the hierarchy of widgets a signal is
getting lost I guess. Do you have GTK2 or 3? I am hoping the bug is
fixed in GTK3.

I think I have both:

$ aptitude search '~i libgtk'
i A libgtk-3-0
i A libgtk-3-bin
i A libgtk-3-common
i A libgtk-3-dev
i A libgtk-sharp-beans-cil
i A libgtk-vnc-2.0-0
i A libgtk2-perl
i A libgtk2.0-0
i A libgtk2.0-bin
i A libgtk2.0-cil
i A libgtk2.0-common
i A libgtk2.0-dev
i   libgtk2.0-doc

Either:
         the score allowed you to quit with the changes not saved, that is you
can change a score layout and the score fails to become unsaved (I think
I fixed all cases of this, please report if not)
Or:
         it is opening with the default layout as the selected layout, not the
one you customized. I think my intention was that the last selected
layout should be selected when re-opening a score (so that hitting print
without looking at the score layout view will print the last selected
layout). If not, you have to select this layout - note that when you
re-open a score the custom layout becomes pure LilyPond, the GUI is not
saved.

It's the latter.
Mmm, are you sure, I was checking this afternoon, and it seemed to load
a previously saved file with the last used custom layout as the selected
layout. Perhaps you just meant that you saved while the default layout
was selected? (Mmm, in fact that is a snag - if you save with layout A
selected then select layout B print, etc, then quit without saving again
then on loading it up again, A will print out if you just hit print.
Well, perhaps that is ok).

You are right.
I had a few problems: three custom layouts. I removed two of them.
I think that the active layout moves to the left in the Score Layout window. Is it correct?

Now Export as PDF uses the custom layout.

Now I understand: if you use File>Export as>PDF, the default layout will
be automatically used.
The Export as PDF is old code, it will create large pdfs with point and
click information in them, unless you turn it off. It should probably be
re-engineered to work via the current layout and to avoid point and
click info.
If you want to print a customized layout, you must use View>Score
layout, choose the custom layout and click Typeset. Then print to PDF.

As said before, it works also the Export if the custom layout becomes the default in Score Layout. This is at least my understanding.

Yes, I confirm the point-and-click. It would be nice to remove it by default without having to tweak the lilypond source.

Anyway, I can see that the main view in Denemo doesn't reflect the changes.
By main view I guess you mean the Denemo display? That is never wysiwyg
- so a rehearsal mark is just represented by the mark A, regardless of
which one it is or which style will print. Of course, it would be
possible to script it to display something else, and even (via the
dynamic flag) to make them display A, B, C, refreshing at some scripted
interval or on some condition such as adding a new rehearsal mark. I am
guessing that is what you refer to below?

yes, correct

Even if I do a simple change in View>Lilypond, such as:
\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-numbers

The PDF is correct but Denemo keeps showing the letter
the letter A that is?
  instead of box
number.

Federico