Re: [Denemo-devel] Static Linking (was Re: tablature status (August 2012

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Static Linking (was Re: tablature status (August 2012))
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:24:23 +0100

On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 10:48 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On 08/21/2012 03:24 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
> > I have dug around and you are quite right it seems:
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1022120/do-i-need-static-libraries-to-statically-link
> >
> > I presume that statically linked libraries are not readily available,
> > and so this would take too much work...
> >
> > I still can't push to git - I have emailed savannah about it. I have
> > several useful fixes pending.
>
> OK. I read somewhere that you can distribute the dynamically linked
> libraries with your application. Then it would be a matter of setting
> the environment variables before denemo is launched. We could distribute
> it a directory called denemo-0.9.6 that contains a /lib and /share or
> /usr/lib /usr/share and a README and Denemo.sh or something. Will this
> even work?
I am pretty confident it would. It pretty much what we do for windows
(and so, to promote software freedom we should do it for GNU/Linux
systems running on i86 machines). We have settings of environment
variables for windows done in main.c, and we could make this special
bundled build set LD_LIBRARY_PATHS to find the dynamic libraries,
GUILE_LOAD_PATH and something (I don't know what it is called) to find
the fonts. As this is GNU/Linux we are targetting it will be fairly easy
to sort that out.
What I don't know is what the configure step would be for this build -
the --prefix or some replacement for it. But it must be do-able, since
in the cross-compiling case you are building a denemo.exe which does not
know where the software will be installed.
I need to get a new machine pretty soon so I will be in a good place for
testing - I am hoping to go ultra-pure, with some completely free O/S -
just for the good feeling :). (My current machine is exhibiting program
crashes similar to those I had a while ago - particularly
compiling/assembling/linking which crashes every dozen runs. No idea
what is behind it - the kernel seems unaffected).

>  I know I can't believe everything I read. If that does not
> work I can continue with gub
?? I can't imagine gub will help building Denemo for GNU/Linux.
>  or we can aim for building a .deb
Well, that is what Josue does, but it doesn't let people with xyz-distro
download and try out Denemo without finding themselves potentially
struggling with conflicting package requirements. It is the ease with
which Windows users can try Denemo compared to GNU/Linux users that is
bothering me somewhat.
While typing this email the bug on Savannah has been fixed - could you
generate a candidate for 0.9.6? As you can see from the emails we now
have a new step in the release cycle - once a we are confident of the
release (and have given it the new version number) we need to send the
potfiles to translationproject.org to give translator teams a chance to
translate Denemo before we release.

Richard