[Denemo-devel] Help with gettext please

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Help with gettext please
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:55:09 +0100

I have a problem getting one construct to work with gettext.
We have a macro which has a string parameter, the macro applies the
gettext() to the string (using the _() macro), but the result fails to
be translatable. Why?
An example is this:

#define NEWPAGE(thelabel) \
    main_vbox = gtk_vbox_new (FALSE, 1);\
    gtk_notebook_append_page (GTK_NOTEBOOK (notebook), main_vbox, NULL);\
    gtk_notebook_set_tab_label_text (GTK_NOTEBOOK (notebook), main_vbox,
_(thelabel));

NEWPAGE("Externals");

In this case "Externals" fails to be translatable. I would like to
understand this, as there a several dozen cases, so it would be tedious
to replace them all with NEWPAGE(_("Externals")), etc.