Re: [Denemo-devel] Involvement

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Involvement
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 10:16:43 +0100

On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 19:10 +0200, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> And maybe you can consider a fourth way to use denemo. Users doesn't
> write music at all, but just want to read existing partitions. That's
> the case for my brass band : musicians just play the partitions with
> Noteworthy, and play music over it. They are helped with what plays
> the software, and the moving cursor on the partition.

Denemo would need more work on the MIDI generation to make this
attractive - the MIDI playback is there just to check (by ear) that the
notes are correct. Even this is incomplete - it does not play grace
notes.
There will be other possible uses for Denemo - particularly music
analysis (we have a routine that checks a composition for consecutives
already), and I hope people will develop these. I was thinking about
things that Denemo could be recommended for right now. Right now it is
strongest at entering music quickly, accurately, and musically, and
delivering a high quality printed score without manual tweaks to the
appearance (thanks to LilyPond). I don't know how it compares with other
programs for playing along with the playback...