Re: [Denemo-devel] Button missing

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Button missing
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 09:19:12 +0000

On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 09:11 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in some informational dialogs, e.g. "Your pdf file has now been
> created", the Ok button has disappeared. Maybe this is a sideeffect of
> internationalisation?
This was a result of my starting to use this dialog in a new way; the
button could be re-instated, but it needs to give a "delete-event"
signal rather than a "destroy" signal, or some such subtlety. I thought
it might be better to drop it as it is redundant, there is already a
button for killing the window provided by the window manager.
(For the new way the dialog is used, select - in the print preview
window - a note with a beam-start and choose the beam-moving option from
the menu).

> Btw, why is the preview window always on top?
It is only on top if you have continuous update set on it. If you change
that to manual it will stop being on top, and when you next start it
that will be true too.
> On my laptop that is not
> very useful; I always close the preview to be able to see all the notes
> in the main window which are hidden behind the preview window otherwise
> -- I don't have enough space on the screen to have both windows beside
> one another. Even when having both windows beside one another, I don't
> see a reason for the preview to be always on top.
If you are continuously typesetting it makes no sense if you can't see
the typeset. But also I am feeling my way towards a different way of
looking at Denemo - seeing it as a program with a music-entry window and
a printed-output window. In the past it looked at first glance like the
music-entry window, which we called the display-window, was what Denemo
created, then you would try to run LilyPond and discover that you hadn't
closed a slur or had some other small error resulting in a bad pdf,
which you didn't know where to look to fix.
If Denemo is useful on small screens, then we could detect the screen
size and default to some different arrangement. The GTK library has nice
routines for seeing how many and what size monitors a user has.

Your feedback is invaluable - please feel free to put up other
ideas/proposals to anything I say.

Richard